Sunday, July 6, 2014

HOW DO AMATEURS KNOW WHAT PROFESSIONALISM LOOKS LIKE WHEN PROFESSIONALS ACT LIKE AMATEURS?

PRESCRIPTION BLUEGRASS IMAGE - EDITORIAL PAGEI think I just learned, this week, the definition of Quasi-Professional but I'm having a terrible time trying to decide if what I learned was really that or maybe Pseudo-Professional instead.

Like I always do when I see something that puts a shade over the bright bluegrass lamp, I call attention to it. Sometimes in a big way and sometimes just to whomever happens to be close at hand. I did the latter this past week and had full intentions to do the former here in this column at the appropriate time. I was called out from my discourse in the former by those who felt I was obviously stirring the wrong pot.

The incident was a video posted on a social media page. A band and a guest singer were on stage at a well known festival. Both the band and the guest are seasoned veterans. My comment was that they should have known better and that I never thought I'd see the offending incident from a professional. I was called because, A) it was the guest's own festival and, B) we didn't have all of the facts, the WHY was not stated. My reply is that it matters not whose festival it is and there should never be a WHY that would be acceptable for a true professional to lower the standards. I was embarrassed and I don't mind saying so.

Here's what happened:

The band was on stage. At some point the guest singer appeared on stage to sing with the band. We don't know when or why because the video starts after the song introduction. The guest is in dress attire with hair and makeup as if she'd just finished her own set or was about to do her set next. So far no problem, but then you realize that in her hand is her data phone and she is obviously reading the words to the tune as she sings each line.

Now, I've seen this before at jam sessions. And I've seen many an amateur singer on stage using lyric sheets while singing the songs. But I've never seen, nor did I ever expect to see a true professional commit this singing sin. Remember, this wasn't an informal gathering of friends in the parlor or on the back porch. These were professionals on a professional stage performing for folks who paid to be entertained.

I know there are no rules that prohibit the use of lyric aids for singers and it is quite often a required tool for recording artists. Also, many artists use the aid of a teleprompter when shooting music videos so that nothing is left to chance. However, those are different scenarios and the public is not witness to the use of the tools. The standard has been set for live performances for decades and there are many who feel you “DELIVER” the song when you sing from memory, from the heart … and you only SING the words when you rely upon a textual aid. Right there is the difference between professional and amateur.

If you're the guilty party, shame on you! You cheated the audience out of the full value of what they came to see and hear. You should know better!

I think, now that I've seen this on video, I'll be much better prepared (when attending festivals) to ask if any of the performers will be “reading” the words to the songs. In which case, I'll also be prepared to pay for my ticket with a “pseudo” check … meaning that some of the money, but not all, will be paid.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments professional and courteous. We appreciate feedback and opposite opinions - all are welcome. Any unprofessional, derogatory or hate comments will be deleted without posting. You may post links to other pages if they directly relate to the post. Any non-relating links will be considered as and reported as SPAM!

Subscribe Now: RSS Reader