Sunday, October 20, 2013

UNDER THE MICROSCOPE - A Prescription Bluegrass Editorial

How we act or don't act in any given situation can surely impress upon others just what kind of person we are. Likewise how our children behave can impress upon others about our parenting and family life.

If we as individuals are part of a larger organization such as a traveling band, a business group on travel status or even just a group of pleasure seekers on a planned group tour or vacation, then how we act as individuals can splash over to either tarnish or polish the group.

For the most part, I must say that my experiences with the children of bluegrass performers have been very positive. Likewise, those children of bluegrass fans that I've encountered have also been some of the most polite and well-mannered I've ever come across.

Something happened earlier this year however that made me ponder on this subject. We were staying overnight in a hotel and so were about three floors of American Youth Soccer families. The hotel served a complimentary breakfast which, at the time we came downstairs to eat, was packed with these soccer families. Nowhere during our meal did I see any parenting of these children happening. Instead I saw kids and adults, both, crowding, pushing, cutting in line and generally acting like hogs at a feeding trough.

What went through my mind as I attempted to eat my breakfast was how others perceive us based upon our actions. I certainly wasn't giving the youth soccer world very high marks based upon what I was experiencing on this particular morning.

The other thing that was going through my mind at the time was: “Thank God this isn't a Bluegrass Convention.” I'd hate for anyone to think of the bluegrass world the way I was thinking of the Youth Soccer folks.


If I could borrow and paraphrase St. Francis of Assisi, “Preach bluegrass everywhere and if necessary, USE WORDS!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments professional and courteous. We appreciate feedback and opposite opinions - all are welcome. Any unprofessional, derogatory or hate comments will be deleted without posting. You may post links to other pages if they directly relate to the post. Any non-relating links will be considered as and reported as SPAM!

Subscribe Now: RSS Reader