Friday, April 11, 2014

To Cover Tune, Or Not To Cover Tune - Guest Article by DETOUR's Missy Armstrong

[Ed. Note:  Ever since we first heard Missy Armstrong sing with Detour, we've been amazed at where all this talent has been hiding.  Not only can they pick and sing like they were doing it before they started walking, they also  write songs that stand right up with the legends.  One of the great strengths of the band is to take a well known classic song and remake it, staying true to the structure of the original but giving it their own flavor   - something often attempted by many but seldom accomplished to the level necessary to create a second classic version of the same song.   Their last album,  A BETTER PLACE contained two of these cover tunes done to perfection.  We wondered when we received the news of a new album to be forthcoming if it would also contain more of their magic on cover tunes.  To our delight, the answer was yes, on their GOING NOWHERE FAST  album, (available now) they included their rendition of Johnny Nash's 1972 number one hit, "I Can See Clearly Now."   We asked Missy if she would write about the concept of cover songs and how she approaches it.  Here are her words.  Thank you Missy!]

PRESCRIPTION BLUEGRASS IMAGE  -  MISSY ARMSTRONG

To Cover Tune, Or Not To Cover Tune?
by Missy Armstrong

I’ll never forget the moment my fate to become part of a bluegrass band was sealed. It happened in the hallway of a hotel lobby while jamming with members of a, new to me, Michigan bluegrass band by the name of Detour. When asked to sing one I responded with one of my all-time favorite songs, “People Get Ready”. As the song progressed I figured out that not only did these guys know this song but THEY. ROCKED. IT. It wasn’t until much later that I learned my faux pas.

I did not have the pleasure of growing up steeped in Bluegrass music, tradition & culture. I had no idea this genre of music even existed until well into adulthood. Because of that I also did not understand or know many of the unspoken rules until after I had broken most of them. That seems to be the way I approach most every facet of life. I’ve never intentionally been a “rule breaker.” Just the opposite I’d say actually. I am a rule follower! Which makes the topic we are about to embark a bit of unchartered territory for me. Pulling out a blues number at a bluegrass festival with people I had never met is a memorable experience for me but I quickly learned that some folks could be annoyed with that.

Maybe you’ll understand me a bit better if you know my past. I mentioned I had never heard of Bluegrass music in childhood but I DID indeed grow up listening to music. All kinds of it! I LOVED music. Even as a small child I would write down all the lyrics to songs so I could sing along with my records, eight tracks, cassette tapes, and eventually CD’s. When I picked up the guitar I would find simple songs with few chords so I could play along.

 

"I believe that there is a way to keep the integrity of the song alive and full of life even though it wasn’t birthed in Bluegrass."


 
That meant that when I actually arrived in the Bluegrass world I knew very few of the standards. It was a long process of trying to hurry up and learn! I had a lot of years to make up for! I am also a history buff. I love to dig up the past and read their stories.

While I understand why we are always looking for the newest, cleverest, catchiest songs to add to our repertoire or to wow people with on our latest albums. I still can’t quite give up on all the other great, already been done, music that I’ve grown up with! If I’m not singing and playing music that I love I can’t think that it’s worth my time. And while I could stop right there and let that be my statement……you know I can’t. I am a woman. I always have more to say!

Cover tunes. We love them. We hate them. We cannot get away from them. Cover tunes. I am an expert in nothing except my own opinion and sometimes I’m not so sure I have that figured out yet.
So, my opinion is all you’ll be getting. Here is it: I LOVE MUSIC. All kinds. All genres, all keys, all tempos, I would listen on a boat and I’m pretty sure I’ve listened with a goat somewhere nearby. I do so LOVE this thing called music. Have I already mentioned this? Sorry. So the real scoop is I love to sing great music. Sometimes it doesn’t fall within the parameters of Bluegrass. While I love the idea of keeping it pure….I also love to switch things up a bit. I also believe that there is a way to keep the integrity of the song alive and full of life even though it wasn’t birthed in Bluegrass.

In Detour we have an unwritten rule of sorts. If any one member really hates a song we don’t play it. There is some wiggle room there. Since I am the only female in the band I usually get my way. I know all

the women out there reading this sensed my sarcasm in that sentence and all the men thought I was serious. I was kidding folks. As a band we play songs we really like. Songs with lyrics that resonate with us, melody’s that sound good to our ears and a feel that can lend itself well to Bluegrass. We then take some time experimenting with different compositions until everyone falls into a sort of balance. Sometimes it takes longer than others. It’s important to find something that keeps the original intent of the song but adds our “Detour” stamp to it as well. I believe that if you really love a song you also have a certain amount of admiration and respect for it as well. You have a desire to want to “make the song proud” so to speak. The lyric is equally as important to Detour. We like to find a story or lyric that we can connect with or that still relates to those we come into contact with.

I have always loved to search for music covers that give a new spin on an old song. One of my all-time favorite singers, and someone I believe knew how to REALLY do this, was Eva Cassidy. Her versions of, “Tennessee Waltz”, “People Get Ready”, “Fields of Gold”, “Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain”, Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and “Wonderful World” all continue to be some of my favorite versions of these songs! The Isaacs are another great example of how it’s done right. Their current album contains a cover of “Grandpa, Tell Me ‘Bout the Good Old Days” that was the first my kids had ever heard. When The Judd’s version came on the radio my middle son asked, “what’s wrong with this song?”. We had a similar conversation after they found out Mountain Heart did not originally record “The Ride”. I then had to give a little lesson in music history and go to therapy to deal with my guilt of failing as a mom. My son had never heard the original versions of those songs? Shame. On. Me. I know there are many other examples of amazing musicians who have covered tunes and brought new life to them but I am pretty sure they aren’t going to give me a daily spot here on RX Bluegrass so I’ll conclude J

I am a pretty simple person so this is surely over simplified but here’s my take: The key to cover tunes is choosing the songs we love. The songs we connect with. On Detour’s last album we included, “Put A Little Love In Your Heart” &”The Letter”. On our newest album contains a cover of “I Can See Clearly Now”. I cut my teeth on this music. My parents were always playing oldies either in the car or on our stereo at home. I remember getting the “Time Life” collections in the mail. I would put the tape in my little cassette player, lay my head down on the floor with my ear next to the speaker and listen to my heart’s content. Those songs still resonate with me. They remind me of growing up, of spending time with my dad who has since passed on, of dancing around the living room with my sisters. Music nearly always has emotion tied to it for me. I think it does for others as well. I do believe there is a way to cover the tried and true, well written, well-loved tunes and keep the song intact. It happens when we love the music.

1 comment:

Please keep all comments professional and courteous. We appreciate feedback and opposite opinions - all are welcome. Any unprofessional, derogatory or hate comments will be deleted without posting. You may post links to other pages if they directly relate to the post. Any non-relating links will be considered as and reported as SPAM!

Subscribe Now: RSS Reader